Having left the house empty for a good part of the last couple of weeks, it was decided that the plaster work was now dry enough to be painted on. Following the advice of numerous people, we decided to paint a couple of layers of very cheap paint on first, as apparently new plaster sucks in paint like you wouldn’t believe. At the same time, seeing as we had all the equipment out, we decided to paint some (supposedly) amazing damp-proof paint on to the walls where we are getting the worst damp. As you can see from the pictures below, the damp had got really bad over the past few weeks, so we’re hoping this stuff will do the trick.
Before we could apply the anti-damp paint we had to remove the mildew from the affected walls. It was at this point where we discovered what may prove to be the best cleaning solution ever – Dettox anti-mildew spray. On the recommendation of Sara’s mother we bought this stuff, and I can safely say that it works miracles – I’d go as far as to say that if Jesus were reborn today, the three kings would bring him Gold, Frankinsence and Dettox Anti-mildew spray, it’s that good!
Obviously painting the new plaster required another movement of the radiator in the lounge. It was much easier the second time round, even without Mark’s help, and it went back in place that evening – and worked too! Touch wood…. The rest of the process was pretty straightforward, and leads the way for next weekend when we’re planning to paint all the walls and ceiling in the front room, so that once the skirting board is down we can call that room complete.
On Sunday Henry primed the bare skirting boards with wood primer, ready for several more coats throughout the week (if Henry can stand being in the freezing-cold garage for that long after a long day at work!!). We also bought a brand new king-size duvet to go with the new bed, partly to solve the duvet-stealing arguements, but also so that we have a spare duvet for when guests stay.