I’m not usually one for filling in online ‘lists’ – you know the ones I mean: “Here’s 40 random questions, answer them then get all your friends to answer them, but don’t actually bother to read anybody’s responses”. They were the bain of e-mail, and now they’ve become the bain of Facebook notes. But I’m making an exception tonight – partially due to the simple nature of this list, but also because the subject matter completely inspired me when I saw it.
I’ve been “passed” this dubious honour by Iain, aka The Pilchard, who in turn was passed it by Mediocre Mum – both of whom I follow on Twitter. The very simple premise of the ‘Plastic Joy Award’ (and the god-awful badge you can see on the right) is this: Name the 5 fictional characters who you… would. I think you know what I mean. They have to be fictional – so no naming actors or actresses – but that’s about the only rule. You can give reasons, or just present a list – whatever works. The only other thing you need to do after that is nominate 5 more bloggers to take on the mantle from you. So here goes with mine…
- Leela from Futurama – I know she’s a cartoon character (strange first choice I guess!) and more importantly, she’s a cyclops (or to be more accurate, a sewer mutant), but what can I see – Leela’s got it where it counts. She’s feisty, she has purple hair, she doesn’t take any crap from sarcastic robots, but she has a heart of gold.
- Princess Leia – I’m sure she must have appeared on a million and one of these lists, but Leia Organa Solo is one sexy Jedi twin. I’m not even that fussed on any particular guise – slave-girl gold bikini, sassy rebellion-leader – whatever, Leia gets my vote. The force is with her…
- Monica Gellar / Bing – As my wife will be the first to attest, I’m definitely a brunette man, and Monica always appealed to me in the whole “Which Friend do you fancy?” thing. Coincidentally, my wife is probably the most similar to Monica of all the Friends too – loves organising stuff, funny, a good chef. If only she had an apartment in New York to go with all of that… ; )
- Lois Lane from Smallville – I got a bit specific there, which is probably against the wall, but Margot Kidder was never my cup of tea. But then the Smallville series came along, and my affection for Clark Kent’s sparring-partner was reborn. Most people were salivating over Lana Lang or Chloe whatsername, but I bided my time with Smallville until Lois finally came along, and I wasn’t disappointed. Hmm, another brunette on the list… I see a theme developing!
- Susan Lewis from ER – Phew, I found a non-brunette for the list! I always had a bit of a soft-spot for Sherry Stringfield’s red-headed ER doctor, especially in the first few seasons. It helps that she was one of the nicest characters in it, and had a will-they-won’t-they relationship with my other favourite character, Doctor Greene. Either way, Susan Lewis got my vote.
So there’s my list – what do you think, agree, disagree? I’m afraid I don’t follow enough other bloggers to nominate five to follow me, but as this is going to probably be posted to my Facebook wall too, I’ll nominate a few people there….