The nice people at American Express have asked me to tell you about a cool new feature they’re promoting, and being the amiable chap I am (and always on the look-out for a bargain!) I happily agreed.
Since times are always a bit tight at the start of a new year, we’re all keen to make a little extra spending money on those essential purchases. To help you out, American Express are offering new American Express “Platinum Cashback Credit Card” members a welcome bonus of £25 for those who apply by 16 March 2014, which covers the first year annual fee. Boom – that’s at least 4 packs of nappies right there!
According to research they have done with the boffins at the Centre for Economics and Business Research, the average household spends nearly £28,000 a year on everyday items such as food, travel, clothing and leisure. If you put all of that on an American Express Platinum Cashback Credit Card, you could earn a whopping £443 a year in cashback.* Imagine how many nappies THAT could buy!?
PLATINUM CASHBACK: ‘Representative example: Representative 18.7% APR variable. Based on annual fee of £25 and assumed credit limit of £1200. Interest rate for purchases: 14.0% p.a. variable.’
Frankly, if numbers like that don’t convince you to take this card, I don’t know what would – I’m certainly considering ditching my existing cruddy credit card and getting one of these, that’s for sure.
If that wasn’t enough of a temptation for you, if you’re already a customer you get a treat too. If you meet the criteria, you will get a £25 bonus cashback for each approved friend you refer (you can refer up to five in 12 months.) Your friend will earn £25 bonus cashback as soon as they use their Card, as well as the £25 introductory bonus offer currently being offered. That’s more bonuses than a city banker at Christmas!**
Terms and conditions apply – click here
Here’s the part with all the details – or as Jennifer Aniston used to say, “Here’s the science bit!”
Key features and benefits of the American Express Platinum Cashback Credit Card:
- 5 per cent introductory rate for the first three months on up to £2,500 of spending (maximum £125 cashback at this rate)
- A simple 1.25 per cent flat rate across spending thereafter, on every full £1 spent per purchase
- 2.5 per cent (double the on-going rate) on every full £1 spent per purchase made during the Card anniversary month if purchases over £10,000 have been made in the preceding 12 months
- A £25 annual fee is payable at the beginning of each membership year
- No upper limit on the amount of cashback that can be earned after the first three months
- Cashback is paid annually in the Card anniversary month by credit to the account
- Primary Cardmembers can apply for complimentary Supplementary Credit Cards for friends or family, meaning more cashback can be accrued even more quickly
If you’d like to find out more, or apply for the card, visit: www.amex.co.uk/cashback
* Reseach undertaken in September 2013 and draws on official data and two surveys conducted by One Poll in May and August 2013 of almost 4,000 UK consumers.
** You may recommend as many friends as you wish but you will only receive referral bonus cashback for a maximum of 5 successful referrals in a calendar year. You will receive £25 bonus cashback at the same time as your annual rebate if your friend applies before midnight 16 March 2014 and is approved for the Platinum Cashback Credit Card.
Your friend must apply via the referral link you share with them to ensure you both receive your bonus cashback. If your friend has already applied for the Platinum Cashback Credit Card without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus cashback. Applicants must be UK residents aged 18 years old or over. Approval is subject to status and Terms and Conditions apply. All introductory offers are not available if you currently hold or have held any other American Express Cashback Credit Cards in the past 6 months.